View Single Post
Old 10-02-2008, 07:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
aussie_modder
EcoModding Lurker

Big_Bird - '79 Holden (GMH) Kingswood SL
90 day: 18.96 mpg (US)

Girl's Car - '05 Holden (GMH) Astra
Last 3: 40.33 mpg (US)
ECOmodding an Aussie Icon

" It's not a car, it's a Kingswood!!" (Ted Bullpit from Aussie sitcom 'Kingswood Country')

Hi all,

Having read through all the excellent information on the forum, i thought that i would record the progress of my quest to ecomod an australian motoring icon..... my 1979 GMH (General Motors Holden) Kingswood station wagon.

Why you ask? Well as many of you know, cars that you grew up in, contain a lot of memories and just can't be parted with (despite the increasing price of fuel, and the constant nagging of the other half to get rid of that 'old bomb'). and they offer something that newer cars don't........ character.

Below is a basic run-down on the vehicle (photos to follow soon) as well as some fuel economy records.

Canary Yellow;
3.3L (202 cubic inches) Straight Six cylinder- a whopping 118bhp in a 3100lb car
3 speed automatic transmission
LSD (3.36??)
aftermarket airconditioning (fitted by my father prior to my birth)

(full factory specifications: HZ Holden Specifications )

For 22 years, it served my parents in this near-standard guise.

Fuel economy was approximately 16.75 L/100 [~14.2 mpg]

In 2003, it scored a set of extractors and new 2inch exhaust. This modification alone increase economy to 14.8 L/100 [~ 16 mpg] when driving around surburbia.

After graduating from university in 2004, I embarked on a number of road trips which saw an open road fuel economy of 13.4 L/100 [17.7 mpg].

I must point out that to date, this car has traversed this country from one side to the other with no issues; other than fascination and a wave from many a passing motorist.

At 331,000km (original transmission, engine #2 took over at 250,000km); approximately 207,000 miles, THE QUEST BEGINS.................

Last edited by aussie_modder; 10-02-2008 at 07:23 PM..