View Single Post
Old 05-25-2021, 03:00 PM   #15 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
pretty quickly

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroMcAeroFace View Post
I agree with what you have said here, and I think it is clear why normal cars currently don't fly.

However, if the car is already "flying" then there would be able to have control surfaces. How quickly could a spoiler come up? Half a second, I would think is possible.

How the hazard is identified, I don't know, but how would a normal car identify that? Wheel slip, yaw and steering angle sensors in traction control systems can react pretty quickly, use the same technology?

But really the question is not about traffic, it is about theoretical possibility. It seems possible to me if the aerofoil has a lift/drag higher than a wheels lift/drag then it would work. see permalink 8
At higher velocity the event horizon gets shorter.
It's said that a computer can react in 1/10th the time of a human, at peak physiological efficiency.
That would definitely favor letting the ECU do the 'reacting.' If it's getting the appropriate sensor input. That could be an unknown.
Perhaps there are physical anomalies which facial recognition software could interpret as a threat response, ahead of the brain actually sending any signal in response. Something that's been observed in clinical observation.
If so, constant monitoring of the driver's face/ eyes, might pickup this pre-reflexive anomaly, triggering the car to respond before the human has actually got the signal themselves.
Ballistic actuators, modelled on the airbag, could be designed with enough force to mechanically disable the lifting surfaces in time to recover a traction-dependent avoidance maneuver. As a military canopy is separated by explosive fasteners immediately in advance of a forced ejection-seat deployment, programmed to respond to accelerometer signal threshold protocols cataloged into onboard memory. The pilot may experience white-out or blackout, it doesn't matter; the plane will do whatever it takes to protect the pilot, without any participation.