View Single Post
Old 05-25-2021, 04:40 PM   #16 (permalink)
seifrob
Permanent Lurker

Dáčenka - '10 Dacia / Renault Logan MCV 1.5 dCi (X90 k9k)
90 day: 47.08 mpg (US)
Disclaimer:
I am neither expert, nor can I provide some numeric data (any pilot here? input is most welcome).

Even at speed, when you turn really hard (think of deer-evasive manouvers), your car turn radius is at magnitude of ten meters (around 50 m, based on local roundabout size).
Planes do not turn so well. What I have been able to find is 134 m turn radius at 95 km/h for typical sailplane (anybody can confirm?) and they turn by rolling, using full wings area to create turning force. I was not able to find turning radius just by yawing but assume hundreds of meters.
I Did not check the math yet, but, IMHO, to substitute wheels for rudder with similar performance will ask for rudder with impractical size.
About "disabling the lift when needed": Even if you make our ECU and spoiler actuators lighting fast, you do not get instant adhesion. First you need to fight your car inertia. Lets say your car is lifted "just to touch". So, to get full ground contact again, the body needs to drop down what is the suspension lift. Lets say 30 cm. It takes 0,25 s to drop 30 cm by free fall. So, from the instant you "disable the lift" it still takes 0,25 s till your brakes or steering begin to work. Not worth the risk.

The Following User Says Thank You to seifrob For This Useful Post:
aerohead (05-25-2021)