View Single Post
Old 05-25-2021, 10:53 PM   #19 (permalink)
j-c-c
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Instead of snake oil, contemplate the net cargo weight and center of mass, vs the mass of the battery pack and how far it can practically be moved.

As a 'first approximation' I'd venture that if the battery has half the weight of the maximum cargo variation, it would have to move half the wheelbase of the vehicle. For more than partial compensation.

This may be possible with planetary screws and segmented cable stays. But it eliminates the possibility of structural batteries.
Well I'm contemplating, being PU's have usually a generous WB, and the fact without the conventional powered under carriage impediments/drivetrain obstructions with an under slung battery mount, the battery could move a considerable distance, would it achieve the ideal? 50/50, likely not, could it make a big improvement, my thinking is yes, especially a lot of other mass in a EV is also changed, and additionally no varying fuel tank weight consideration.

Not sure how the "structural battery" figures in here, as a movable battery would not add, as I see it, any structural aspects to the moveable battery application.