View Single Post
Old 05-26-2021, 05:51 AM   #25 (permalink)
JulianEdgar
Banned

Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vekke View Post
Mainly aerodynamics and the cost, but if you build your own system challenges/problems comes also from damper settings meaning to get it working well you need to change damping characteristics of the dampers also. Adjustable dampers are also expensive. So if you just put many thousand euros to your suspension it should also perform better than the steel spring ones does. Ride quality is usually always better but handling takes time and effort also in the tuning like any setup. The parts if you buy them seconhand etc arent that expensive, even I have most parts needed in shelf from some scrapped cars.
Most air suspension kits run adjustable dampers. I have adjustable dampers front and back on my Insight's air suspension.

Obviously handling (and ride, too) requires tuning and set-up. Just as with steel springs.

Basically, air suspension craps on steel springs for ride, handling and aerodynamics from a great height.

But yeah, you need to spend money and effort. A bit like any decent car modifications, in fact.