View Single Post
Old 05-26-2021, 10:17 AM   #28 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroMcAeroFace View Post
I think both of you are misunderstanding my proposal, I am not suggesting floating cars, or turning cars into flying planes or hovering ekranoplans, I am suggesting partially lifting cars.

Such that the force pushing down on the wheels is reduced to say 50% of static force. The wheels still provide the drive and steering (though maybe assisted by control surfaces).

We just have wings that take some of the weight off the tyres. (thread title changed to reduce confusion)

Assuming 50% weight reduction would still give 50% of the grip and that is excluding other control surfaces. Brakes would be airbrake assisted that also increase downforce like an SLR or Huayra.

Modern cars on a skidpan manage 1g lateral grip, that would mean that with 50% of the weight removed (excluding control surfaces) that 0.5g of lateral grip is instantly achievable, pushing up to 1g if lift is cancelled and maybe 1.5g with downforce.

Even in "lift mode" that would still give 70% of the cornering speed for the same radius.

Car is lifted so weight is reduced, that is maybe a few cm of travel, I have never seen a 30cm free fall suspension but maybe that is for huge cars. Steering works at all speeds if only 50% of the weight is off the wheels.

And if we assume 2.5cm of suspension lift that would take virtually no time for full grip to be achieved, just through gravity.

Freebeard, I think lifting the rear wheel is clever but not really what I am talking about here, because that would be quite susceptible to the pit manoeuvre, or potholes, or crosswinds
Here's a proposal:
Choose one vehicle that we have all, necessary data from which to do a full, table-top analysis.
We can run some numbers, within the context of that specific vehicle and see where it takes us.
CAR and DRIVER does the most comprehensive road tests, available to the lay person. I'd recommend choosing from their stable.
That will put us all on the same page.