View Single Post
Old 05-28-2021, 03:57 PM   #26 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Autobahnschleicher -- Perhaps I'm the only one to take you seriously.

It would be fun to try and fail. How's about relocate to Bonneville Salt Flats? It's closer to you than Australia as far as I know. And members have been known to appear there. Bonnevile's a hoot. The first time I was there we met a guy who bought an old pickup truck and threw his motorcycle in the back and headed toward Bonneville knowing he needed a crew he didn't have. The guy he recruited has ridden his own Ducati there at 160 MPH and was on the salt flats in Bolivia last I heard.

So grassroots racing can happen.

It's all fun until you actually have to build something and put it in the field. Someone here could crunch some numbers. They seem to favor steam for external combustion.

A vacuum tube of the necessary capacity could be made from an acrylic tube 36" in diameter, slump molded in a [rented] infrared lamp bank and then inverted and placed on the back of an aero-Template tricycle (for cheaper tires*). aerohead knows how to fillet the wheel openings, see his Baby Template.

*witness that Max Balchowsky ran Buick station wagon tires on Old Yeller II against Ferraris and their ilk.