View Single Post
Old 05-29-2021, 01:25 PM   #19 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,051 Times in 1,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwichse View Post
They started using these around me a while ago. The van that usually delivered to my work was one. The driver was a friendly guy (retired last year), and he liked the take off torque when he jumped back in and gunned it to the next stop.

https://www.nrel.gov/transportation/...aulic-van.html

Scroll down to publications, view the PDF, and you can see that it made a big difference in real world delivery cycles.

The vans around my area still engine off stop, but I don't know if they're conventional hybrids now or the hydraulics still in service. I haven't asked, and the new guys (they float them around the routes) frankly don't seem to give enough of a crap about delivering anything for me to bother to ask if they know any thing about their vans :-/.
It is UPS policy to turn off the vehicle every time you stop. I drove a conventional diesel and turned it off every delivery. Per UPS policy:

Stop, shift to park, set park brake, turn off engine, fold in driver mirror, open rear door, retrieve package, close rear door, deliver package, scan package and record delivery location, return to vehicle, crank engine, release park brake, fold out mirror, shift to drive, go.

The driver is allocated 30 seconds to do all of that. Drivers do not have time to talk to customers. They are on a clock and everything is tracked.