View Single Post
Old 10-02-2008, 10:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
aussie_modder
EcoModding Lurker

Big_Bird - '79 Holden (GMH) Kingswood SL
90 day: 18.96 mpg (US)

Girl's Car - '05 Holden (GMH) Astra
Last 3: 40.33 mpg (US)
Hi folks,

Dropping in a newer engine and trans is definitely a good option (there are many conversion kits available locally for the 3.8L Buick engine-as used in the GMH commodore). However i would not expect much change from $4000 for such a conversion. and if i start with the engine, I'm inclined to restore the whole car. (you know how it is).

Those that have done similar conversions have noted fuel economy figures in the range of 23.5mpg. Which is great, however the cars that these engines were donated from would achive fuel figures closer to 27mpg. (theres a big difference in aerodynamics between the old and the new).

Therefore my goal is to achieve a fuel economy figure of greater than 23.5mpg (<10L/100) on my normal 140km (mostly highway) roundtrip commute to work, without changing the basics (engine, transmission, induction), and on a shoe-string budget.

Funnily enough, on a cost/km basis, the old car is far better than buying a new, FUEL EFFICENT car. registration, purchase price, insurance, servicing on a new car far outweigh the fuel savings. And i'm already miles infront of the energy used to construct a car, since mine is already built (i hope that makes sense....... re-use rather than re-place with a new item).

In a nut shell, my wish list so far is as follows:
  • Front Skid Plat (improve undercar air flow)
  • RAM air inake (overcome the intake restrictions inherrent with the stock carby/filter arrangement)
  • Rear wheel fenders
  • Streamlined hubcaps (the stock ones are great for this, but they are hard to find (& $$$) if i lose one)

Pretty much anything that uses duct tape, styrofoam, corroplast, readily obtainable items <$10 and has a big impact on overall fuel economy. (low hanging fruit)

If the budget will stretch, I would also like to change out the existing engine driven radiator fan and water pump with an electric fan and water pump. This should also alleviate overheating issues which also plague these older cars. (estimated cost..... AU$800).