View Single Post
Old 10-02-2008, 10:53 PM   #22 (permalink)
owlafaye
Multiple Geo owner/3cyl

While I wouldn't mind repairing it as things break if I were driving it around town, I can't exactly walk home when I'm 500 miles from home. Given your experience, what should I replace/repair immediately after buying a Metro before trying to take it on a long trip?[/QUOTE]

1- Buy an AAA card ($80 smackers/yr.)
2- Drive along a bridge with windows down and listen for front wheel bearing noise. If you have a bad one, change BOTH bearings $30 or so.
3- Jack up each rear wheel and spin to listen for growling bearing.
4- Evaluate tires, balance all you choose to use.
5- Take it to a REAL alignment shop (Not a Les Schwab chain store type outlet)
6- Replace plugs, coil, wires, distributor cap.
7- Check timing
8- Idle engine and see if radiator fan works...if not, pull wire from sensor which is mounted above thermostat housing on back of engine and jump with a small wire...fan should come on...if it is slow or noisy, drill a small hole in the cap on the back of the motor and put 30 drops of oil in it.
9- Temp gauge should read about 2/5 of the way towards HOT...if it runs cold, change the thermostat $8
10- Like Johnny Mullet says, "burp" the radiator...jack up the car high, remove radiator cap, start engine and run for 20 minutes, then fill radiator to top.
11- A can of quality radiator flush wouldn't hurt. Drain the radiator, close drain valve. Add flush and water to top off. Go out and drive for 40 minutes...come back and flush it out thoroughly over and over again with water. Add antifreeze FIRST and top off with water.
12- Check radiator cap seal for any breaks or cracks
13- Check transmission for full oil (Until it runs out of the fill hole)
14- Put 2/3 a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil in the crankcase, the rest in the FULL gas tank. Drive it 300 miles and then change the oil and filter. The Marvel will wear out quickly so change that oil within 300 or 400 miles...don't go further...just self defeating to do so.
15- Make sure the clutch adjustment allows you to depress clutch pedal one inch or more before the start of engagement with the throwout bearing. The linkage can be adjusted easily under the hood to the right of the engine.
16- When you have those wheels up, might as well remove them and check the brakes for wear and the brake cylinders for leaks. Rebuild kits are dirt cheap for those cylinders and you can hone the cylinder with an electric drill, a coat hanger bent at the end to hold some sandpaper...easy. A new brake metalo clip set costs very little. Replace all the clips by doing one side while viewing the other side for proper placement of the various clips. Same with replacing anything brake wise...remove both wheels/drums and do one at a time by referencing the other side.
17- Check all the lights.

Now you can go 1000's of miles and expect no problems or minor ones at best.

These things are EASY to work on.

owlafaye