View Single Post
Old 06-05-2021, 05:51 PM   #387 (permalink)
19bonestock88
Master EcoModder

IGL - '04 Saturn Ion
Team Saturn
90 day: 56.19 mpg (US)
So lately my efforts have been focused on weight reduction while my thoughts and brainstorming have been focused on aero, because that’s where the gains in highway mileage are made. I think that after finishing the mid belly pan I’d like to focus on the upper rear of the car, specifically the roof. The roof is basically a big bubble shape but it appears I have detached flow on the back glass about halfway down, with evidence that the air spills onto it from the sides. Driving in the rain shows the glass being dry in the upper half and about 6” in from each side. I have experimented with an elongated rear window visor in the past but with no luck, due to having no spoiler at the time. I *am* wanting to make sail panels extending from the top of the back glass to about 3” above the plane of the spoiler to separate the air from the sides of the car and the air going over the roof/back glass. Would it be possible to add a spoiler element to the sail panels to 1. stiffen them and 2. direct airflow down the glass and over the spoiler? Would that possibly reduce drag?

My last Ecotec project...