View Single Post
Old 06-05-2021, 08:17 PM   #16 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
What should one call that frame, a birdcage? I thought Nash was first with unit construction:

Quote:
For the 1941 and 1942 model years ....[t]he Nash Ambassador 600, built on a 112-inch (2,845 mm) wheelbase, became the first popular domestic automobile to be built using the single-welded "unibody" type of monocoque construction that Nash called "Unitized", rather than body-on-frame. From 1941 through 1948, Nash Ambassador models placed this unibody structure on top of a conventional frame,[15] thus creating a solid and sturdy automobile. It was also one of the first in the "low-priced" market segment with coil spring suspension in front and back, "giving it the best ride in its class."
The Chrysler Brothers were consummate engineers, but some of it never made it to market. I never saw Airflow on a used car lot in the 1950s, but I wish they'd been full of Star Cars:

www.hemmings.com: SIA Flashback - Mopar's Star Cars

It looks like the original article 404s, but here's something squirreled way in my albums:

Front-wheel drive 5-cylinder radial.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (06-06-2021)