View Single Post
Old 10-03-2008, 09:22 AM   #14 (permalink)
mavinwy
EcoModding Lurker

Neon1 - '97 Plymouth Neon highline
90 day: 27.26 mpg (US)
On the wife's intrepid, we put in a "drop in" k&n and removed the sound reduction box, replacing it with a smooth tube. No other chages were made. 2mpg around town and 3 on the highway additional has been observed for better than 60k miles. I still clean and re-oil the thing every 10K miles and I have a standard paper filter that I put in while it dries overnight. It is consistant that we lose that 2-3mpg whenever the paper filter is in.

Now, this is how it reacts to one car. I have also seen cars where acetone worked, and others where it did not. Some where a certain brand or weight of oil made a difference. I think it may, in part, have to do with the design of the intake and engine of the car.

The neon has one, but that was to get rid of the "habitrail" intake that dodge put on the first generation neons. And yes, I am running it as a warm intake, so I would not just say that the k&n made a difference....but certainly the whole system did (about 3 mpg).

As long as there are different cars and motors out there, and people wanting to achieve different goals with them (speed, power, FE, reliability, whatever)....I think the great K&N debate will continue.

Jim