View Single Post
Old 10-03-2008, 12:11 PM   #16 (permalink)
dremd
EV OR DIESEL

FarFarfrumpumpen - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS Premium

Quorra - '12 Tesla Model S P85
Send a message via AIM to dremd
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnation View Post
. . . .. any K&N benefit (much like "synthetic" oils) is from a placebo effect.
Not to go off subject; but synthetic oil does allow you to increase FE; not because of magic; because you can run a lower viscosity oil, which flows better; saving energy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnation View Post
I would like someone with a scangauge to run tests with the most clogged filter they can find, a clean K&N, and no filter at all.
I think we can all agree that the SGII will not be capable measuring for this test. THE SGII works off of reported Engine Load which is based on airflow; if the K&N flow was the benefit then the throttle plate would close more, ending up with the same airflow and same reading.

[QUOTE=nascarnation;64856]
(and don't worry about that last one, I know a guy who ran a 283 Chevy for 100,000 miles with no filter at all)
I know 2 people who routinely run without airfilters.

1) Honda civic with Prelude engine swap; picked up a rod knock on second oil change, sand could be seen in the oil and the filter was entirely plugged (bypass stuck, low oil pressure actually caused the rod knock)

2) 2003 Trans Am Full exhaust, cam, tune, built auto, 3500 stall, no air filter. ~40,000 miles to date with no issues; however he does have a fine "pre filter" on the car. . . . ..
Gone 2013 Nissan LEAF SV
2012 Nissan LEAF SV
6 speed ALH TDI Swapped in to a 2003 Jetta Wagon