View Single Post
Old 10-03-2008, 01:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
Corded mowers work too!

So I had broken my fancy reel mower a while ago but the lawn kept growing. I decided to try a corded model and found this guy on craigslist for $40 (with bagger):

I just finished my first try at it and the cord was really nothing to worry about. I may add an outside outlet or two to make it a little easier in the future, but no rush. I guess I've learned from watching my dog tie herself around trees enough how to avoid getting trapped by the cord I'm on about 1/3 acre and just needed one 100' cord. Theres a few trees and a playset too.

It is noticeably lighter than a gas or cordless. It is heavier than the reel, but easier to push and gets the long stuff.

When I got it, the blade was on upside down?!? It was nice to be able to lay the mower on its side to get the blade off without the thing leaking gas/oil on the driveway. A quick touch up on the bench grinder while the blade was off and back on it went.

Of course it is like zero maintenance, don't even have to replace batteries. Don't have to make a special trip to the gas station or change the oil (or mess with the air filter/sparkplug). And once you get fluent with the cord it's like nothin (they have flip handle models too). Not to mention they are generally less expensive than their gas or cordless counterparts.

So a big thumbs up for corded mowers

Last edited by dcb; 10-03-2008 at 01:56 PM..