View Single Post
Old 06-11-2021, 02:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Isaac Zachary
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
I bought a Prius that had been sitting and had a dead traction battery. I got a 6 cell NiMH hobby charger and took apart the battery and charged every module. (Mind you on a Prius the modules need to be squeezed together or they will inflate. Don't ask how I know.) I also got a discharge meter and measured each module. One was completely dead and two were a bit worse than the rest so I changed those for some used modules off of eBay. I also tested those of course. After charging them all back up I then connected all three modules in parallel and did one last charge up to make sure they were all top balanced.

I put the traction battery back in and tested it out and it worked fine now. No codes or anything (except for catalytic converter). Checking the voltages the modules all stay pretty close. I haven't driven it though since then some I'm doing more work to it. So I start the engine every couple weeks and put it in gear and step on both the brake and accelerator at the same time so it charges up the traction battery. About a year later it still seems to be working fine.