View Single Post
Old 06-13-2021, 01:55 PM   #32 (permalink)
serialk11r
Master EcoModder

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
Okay wow, I managed to retard the intake cam successfully and also think I know how the DFCO works (I believe it's using idle speed as a starting point), this is a pleasant surprise. I decided to avoid modifying any non-integer value thinking there might be some checksum or some kind of other black magic being done with those values, and voila the ECU seemed happy. Going to try pushing my luck and change the cam position a little more. I have DFCO all the way to 1100rpm now, though it sometimes doesn't turn on when I downshift into 1st.

I think I am going back up a little on idle speed to 688rpm because the engine sputtered a few times with a 672rpm target idle after blipping the throttle. There's about a 1/5 chance that the engine tries to catch the idle and it dips below 590rpm, at which point it kind of coughs and sputters. On my old Scion FR-S, I had a pretty bad slow idle that I decided I would live with to save fuel, but this car being expensive to fix makes me nervous if it's doing stuff like that. As long as it's over 600rpm the engine runs very smooth, which is surprising given the huge cams.

Next step is adding some external EGR, and then getting the oil changed. When the engine is idling, I see an extra 0.1gph usage if the oil is cold!

Last edited by serialk11r; 06-13-2021 at 02:34 PM..