View Single Post
Old 10-03-2008, 04:26 PM   #22 (permalink)
jim-frank
EcoModding Lurker

ScabbySentra - '93 Nissan Sentra SE
90 day: 44.37 mpg (US)
Quote:
I don't think they heard you some_other_dave
I heard him. That's what I was talking about in the quote below from my earlier post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim frank
The Pulstar plugs evidently cause a faster growth of the flame kernel due to the intensity and speed (risetime?) of the spark. That's what the pictures at the manufacturer's website seem to show.

Supposedly the faster flame front means more complete combustion. If your engine is already burning the mix thoroughly due to good turbulence, homogenous mixture, and so on, this plug might not make a noticeable difference.
I'd use an H bridge for reliability's sake. The load on each mosfet is half what it is in a half bridge. There are dozens of circuits that would work, but reliability on a timescale of thousands of hours operation is something else.

455 kHz is the intermediate frequency (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intermediate_frequency) of nearly all AM radios. A signal near that frequency will bleed through and hash up reception over the entire AM band.

Ordinary RG-8 will stand off pretty high voltages, if you use the solid polyethylene dielectric stuff. You need the outer conductive braid of coax cable to provide a return path for the RF, to prevent your wires from becoming antennas broadcasting RF noise. The RF thing is why resistor wire is used for most spark plugs, if I understand correctly.

You could take plain copper braid (recycled from coax) and insert spark plug wires inside to get a fairly good system. I've considered doing this to improve my AM radio's DX capability, but I think the injectors and fuel pump contribute as much if not more hash to the band.

RFI (radio frequency interference) is a very big deal.