View Single Post
Old 06-15-2021, 09:45 PM   #544 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Working is expensive!

I don't check SLP groups anymore. People always ask questions without doing any research and people respond without reading the previous comments, so you get the same questions and answers over and over.

However, one continuing counsel is to spend lots of money on therapy materials.

There is a company called Super Duper that makes wonderful speech materials, but I would never recommend them unless you had a sponsor donating them for you. Everyone says "Keep the receipts and deduct it!"

One game that benefitted one client at school cost over $50.

I am in the 12% tax bracket, so buying one game to benefit one client would still cost over $45 after deductions.

An obvious person gave me the obvious response: "Check Amazon!"

That was the Amazon price. I didn't find it cheaper elsewhere.

That is one problem with speech-specific materials, there are something like 100-200k speech therapists, but 3.7 million teachers, and teaching materials are excessively expensive. When I worked at schools I asked teachers about teacher supply stores and the instructors always responded they didn't have any idea who could afford to shop there--certainly not school employees.

My old supervisor insisted on changing my reports, which were in my name, and on my license, and refused to tell me what she changed, so our boss got me a new supervisor, who almost never has me change anything, and has changed my paperwork zero times.

The boss admitted that rejecting every progress report for the same reason, but refusing to tell me the reason, was much more work for my supervisor than having me fix the first couple and write the rest differently.

I just wanted to know what her rules were so I could follow them, but I don't see how my paperwork would improve under my new supervisor, and I want to be the best therapist that I can.

However, she actually attempts to meet the legal requirement of supervising me--you know, the major part of her job title and description. The frustrating part is that after each observation she tells me to buy stuff. Things that, as I established, are usually expensive.

Unfortunately, each material would be useful for no more than a few clients.

Sometimes just one and sometimes just for a while.

Yes, I am rolling in the money with my eight weekly clients.

She also acted upset that I am doing teletherapy, which is the families' preference.

One client would be in the first grade if he weren't developmentally delayed. He never sits still. Sometimes flashcards work. Sometimes it works better to have him identify body parts and common objects. Sometimes I can get him to say "No nose!" when he won't say "Nose!"

Today nothing seemed to work and my supervisor told me to use something else, so I ran into my brother's room and grabbed an armful of stuffed animals and toys. My client happily identified everything, but there were just 10 items.

My supervisor said "Just have 25-50 common objects in a tub and then other activities right next to you!"

She now wants me to buy dozens of items and keep them convenient under my bed?

Would one paycheck at the Disney store be adequate?

Mom is already campaigning for me to get rid of all of my stuff--including my work computer--and replace everything with a queen bed.

Buying a bed two sizes wider than serves any purpose, two sizes more expensive, is sheer insanity.