View Single Post
Old 06-18-2021, 03:29 PM   #48 (permalink)
Juho
EcoModding Lurker

- worse fuel economy, mostly around 9-10l/100km at 100km/h
- atleast by feel not noticeable more stability, requires quite a long time before the fuel consumption drops to around 8l/100km at 100km/h

So the engine doesn't seem to like intake timing around 110-116.
120->116 and fuel consumption increases.

It's happy around 100 and 120 centerline. Atleast based on my testing (not enough, tho!).
I might remember wrong, but at 120 timing it was easier to reach less than 8l/100km momentary fuel consumption.

Another odd thing is, that when I had the thermostat broken, I reached 7.9l average fuel consumption and coolant temperature was around 82-83C.
If I remember correctly.

Higher than 96C is not possible without grill block.
I have the thermostat set at 105C low load, and I was able to log radiator outlet and coolant temperature sensor readings.
Based on that, thermostat was not open; radiator outlet temperature was around 70..75C. Fan starts spinning +90C outlet temp.

There is the possibility, that with aftermarket ecu I could be getting very different results since I cannot be 100% sure the Siemens is not activating some kind of safety modes.

Another thing I really should check, how free the wheels etc are actually spinnings.. how much drag is coming from the complete drivetrain when driving:
Rear differential oil
Gearbox oil
Bearings ?? (rear right is making noise, replacing by the end of month)
Wheel aligment (not good, adjusting when I replace tie rods (tie rod nut is rusted and couldn't open with little bit of heat; easier to just replace than heating them until red).. also by the end of month)
Aero ?? Still haven't got the full undertray.. maybe I'll just fabricate my own, they cost a bit too much for plastic that probably breaks in less than 1000km because of unbeliveable ****ty roads..
Tires, used Michelin energy saver 205/55R16

And for engine modifications, I think better fuel atomization could help at lean burn even more.
I've been looking at Bosch EV14 373cc/min@3bar injectors that have 12 hole spray tip and sprays split in two ways.

Stock injectors may already be quite bad already.
Bigger injectors mean shorters injector pulse widths, so that is not a good thing. But small injectors are restricting cold start enrichments, which is a problem for ethanol engine when it's very cold (like -20C ... -25C)

Last edited by Juho; 06-18-2021 at 03:35 PM..