View Single Post
Old 10-03-2008, 07:02 PM   #24 (permalink)
KitCarlsonEMS
EcoModding Lurker

Sorry, but I think we are kicking a dead horse. I have already done this. I will reinterate. One of my prior posts shows the ignition system, less the 300V DC and the 12V used in conjunction with the point signal. It ran a lawn mower engine. It used the flyback principle desired in the first post. It made a very compact Coil On Plug ignition. No coax required!

I then used a conventional ignition to trigger ignition with a local capacitor follow-on for a VW engine. The follow-on supply could be switched on and off for test purposes. There was not a noticeable improvement in engine performance, unless the engine was running richer than desired. There was no delay in spark due to the means of injecting the follow-on current in either case. The current delivered was at least 10 times that predicted by the Pulstar plugs. This was an attempt to push the limit looking for performance improvement. The negative part was the advanced plug wear. It may be possible to ignite leaner mixtures, however an air cooled engine is not a good test bed for that. There are also numerous dangers in running lean with water cooled engines, without modification.

Modern conventional waste-fire or Coil-On-Plug ignitions are acceptable and reliable means of ignition. Proper dwell control, minimizes energy in, and maximizes energy out. The energy in, to run the ignition comes from the battery, supplied by the alternator via the engine. Optimal spark energy with minimal energy in, yields FE. Both systems are also relatively simple, light weight and reliable.

Last edited by KitCarlsonEMS; 10-03-2008 at 07:40 PM..