View Single Post
Old 06-19-2021, 08:46 AM   #34 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,178 Times in 807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
Having watched the video I don't think we can get any usefully fuel economy info from this "test"
  • They drove different routes
  • They drove up the pass in the Ram in the dry and the Ford in the rain
  • The Ram was the eTorque hybrid which allowed the engine to turn off on the downhill.
  • They drove the Ford in Tow / Haul mode which doesn't let the engine ever turn off
  • They made no mention of the state of charge on either hybrid battery
  • The driver said he was on and off the throttle a lot in the Ford because it had so much more power while the Ram was easy to stay at a steady 60 mph
  • They do full throttle acceleration which wastes a HUGE amount of fuel with a turbo
  • They lugged the Ford up the pass at 2300 RPM instead of selecting a lower gear for better fuel economy
  • They are going by calculated fuel economy from the gas pump but only putting 3.6 gallons +/- into a 36 gallon tank. That allows for a lot of error in filling.
  • They only did one run in each truck which allows traffic to be a pretty big factor.

The Ram's trip computer said 8 mpg and the Ford's said 7.9 mpg

If they wanted to test fuel economy they should should have:
1. Run the same route in similar conditions
2. Run it multiple times to reduce the effects of traffic
3. Drain the tank near empty to reduce fueling variation.

In short this is not a scientific test or repeatable.
Any modern car/truck will have DFCO on the downhill and use no feul hybrid, mild hybrid, or just plain old ICE. They drove both trucks as most people would. Towing in tow haul mode, transmission in drive, maintained the speed limit for trucks with trailers. I trust the numbers they got at the pump even if just a small amount, more than anything the trucks were telling them. Why else would everyone call that gauge the "lie O meter?"

Other then that they do all the Ike Gauntlet testing similar although they do bigger loads for the bigger trucks, but at least it's a way to compare. They are in no way biased toward Dodge as a few years back they made a run in 2500 with the 6.4 Hemi and it was embarrassingly terrible using their methods. It slowed to under 25 mph under full throttle. This is just what they got but I have heard form many Ford EcoBoost owners, feul economy is not the strong suit on a 3.5 EcoBoost, the most common bread and butter F150 engine.

PS, if I were buying a new 1500 pickup today or for the last 7 years 100% I would buy a F150 with the 3.5 EcoBoost. I just am not going to have any illusions about getting good feul economy.

Last edited by Hersbird; 06-19-2021 at 08:52 AM..