View Single Post
Old 06-19-2021, 06:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
falkin42
EcoModding Lurker

Mazda - '12 Mazda 3 Skyactiv
90 day: 32.58 mpg (US)
PHEV Thermal Efficiency

Hi, I've been reading for a while without an account but I thought I'd ask a question. I'll probably introduce myself in the appropriate area now that I think about it but back to this thread (I'm very bad at forums, sorry). I've tried searching but I couldn't find anything or don't know the right words.
How does a PHEV work in regards to (what I've been calling in my head) thermal efficiency? Since the combustion engine needs to reach its operating temperature to be most efficient, would not running all the time interfere with maintaining heat in the block? If the car runs in EV mode long enough, would the combustion engine cool too much?
It occurred to me that I might be making too much of it, and that the engine will probably be running or not, and that there wouldn't be that much on and off but I'm curious what y'all have to say.
If there's a thread I should read then by all means direct me to it. You seem like nice people for the most part so I'm hoping I won't regret opening my mouth.