View Single Post
Old 06-30-2021, 01:59 PM   #51 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,391 Times in 3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor95 View Post
we will be getting a Rav4 Prime (if we can find one) in the near future. That has a tow rating of 2500 lbs. If We can find a trailer light enough, the Rav4 would definitely be very economical, especially because I might be able to tow with the electric only driving capability.

Does anyone know how tow ratings are determined? Are there any negatives to towing above the capacity by a few hundred pounds? I assume that the Rav4 Prime would be limited in the areas of suspension and perhaps the frame. I would think that there is plenty of pulling and braking power to tow well above 2500 lbs.

Edit: Supposedly the only relevant difference between the Rav4 Prime and the Rav4 TRD Adventure (tow capacity of 3500 lbs) is that the latter has a transmission cooler. Would simply adding a transmission cooler be sufficient to tow a little more?
Very interested to hear your comments about the RAV4 Prime once you have time with it.

I believe the Prime has an eCVT, so there's no need for a transmission cooler since it doesn't have a torque converter (where slipping occurs and waste heat accumulates).

There's no issue towing above rating given the operator knows how to handle the load and conditions. I've pulled close to 2,000 lbs in my Prius which has no tow rating. I took it slow and made sure to leave a very large gap between me and the traffic ahead. I didn't go far.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
Taylor95 (06-30-2021)