View Single Post
Old 07-08-2021, 01:24 PM   #118 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,393 Times in 3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary View Post
Somewhere I saw it read that there's also the EPA rating that not only gives you a number off of standardized tests, but if you're willing to put in more testing you can increase the EPA range number even further.

Of course with so much range and Tesla being marketed as a sports car and not a fuel efficient sipper that you can double the range in by just going slower I don't think that most people that have them drive efficiently.
I expect the EPA process for EVs to be similar to that of ICE vehicles in that the EPA specifies the testing criteria, and it's up to the manufacturer to supply the results. EPA only tests 10% of ICE vehicles, so there's incentive for manufacturers to gamble on inflating their figures. Ford was busted for claiming something like 7 more MPGs than actual for their C-max.

Not only is there incentive to cheat to lure customers, but there's probably incentive to cheat to meet CAFE and CARB mandates. If a vehicle shows as getting better fuel economy, then fewer carbon credits need to be purchased to offset fleet emissions.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
Isaac Zachary (07-08-2021)