View Single Post
Old 07-10-2021, 05:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
MeteorGray
Master EcoModder

I don't Pulse-and-Glide so I can't help with that, but I do use a ScanGauge so maybe I can help with that via some observations.

As I'm sure you have discovered, at each fill-up, the SG prompts you to fill in the actual amount of gallons used, and if it is different than the SG had calculated, you are prompted to decide if an offset factor regarding MPG should be changed. By this methodology of changing the offset factor as needed, the gauge can be finessed to achieve very accurate MPG for each tank used and during intermittent trips while on the road. In my case, my offset factor happens to be 13.9%, and with this value the SG predicts within a MPG or two the actual mileage on each trip.

Now, I will note that most of my driving has been very consistently highway on the same route and driving conditions, and I fill up at the same station, so I've got the SG dialed in very well and thus see very accurate MPGs as verified at the pump. However, I'm under the impression that if I were to change driving habits significantly, such as varying a lot between city and highway and idling and whatever, and if I were to use different stations that might tilt different ways that can change the actual fill-up fill line, then the SG likely would not be as consistent and might need to be adjusted at each fill-up in order to follow the varying conditions. IOW, wide variations in driving conditions might degrade MPG accuracy of the SG.

For this same reason, I would guess that that using a P&G technique, which is inherently very inconsistent as determined by on-and-off throttle and/or ignition and related varying speeds, as influenced by traffic conditions, terrain elevations, etc and etc, all of this would throw so many variations at the SG that MPG accuracy might suffer significantly.

Just my unconfirmed musings on the topic.

Last edited by MeteorGray; 07-10-2021 at 05:53 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to MeteorGray For This Useful Post:
JacobLeSann (07-12-2021)