View Single Post
Old 07-11-2021, 04:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
48V
EcoModding Lurker

This is something I have been thinking about for a very long time. Technology is changing so fast it's kind of hard to keep up. Much of it is for convenience and reliability as much as it is for gas mileage. I want to be able to "idle" with the engine off. By that I mean heating or A/C, lighting, or creeping forward. I don't want any belt system on the engine, and it would be useful to be able to run electric water pump and fan with the engine off, or maybe a block heater depending on weather.

There will be an additional gas powered DC generator in the 3-4kw range installed in a toolbox in the bed. Obviously a battery pack, not huge, hopefully around 10kw, and it will also have a 10kw power inverter so it can be used as a mobile generator. With that I can also power 120v accessories like a block heater or air conditioning.

What kind of motors are available that mount to the trans tailshaft? If I did something like that I could simply use a lighter 2WD truck right? (I don't need to go off road) I will likely be using a 4L80E for a trans unless I decide I want more gears. I know GM did it like that but I figured they are kind of rare and hard to find parts, but maybe I'm wrong.

Basically I am building a "new" 20-ish year old truck because I absolutely hate all the new stuff. Maybe it would be easier to just get the factory GM hybrid and make it as nice as I can, but probably not easy to find. I do not want something that has rare and hard to replace components.