View Single Post
Old 07-16-2021, 10:34 AM   #9 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,187 Times in 813 Posts
Yeah, a 2021 Pacifica Hybrid. We looked at the Toyota but between the basic model the Pacifica had on the lot, the $7500 tax credit the Toyota doesn't get, and the $5000 Chrysler rebate vs $1500 on the Toyota the price difference was huge. Ultimately we will be about $30,000 into our Chrysler which I think it just might still be worth at the 1 year point in which case we will do it all over again next year but maybe with a different PHEV. Not that the Chrysler is bad but we ended up keeping our old van so a Rav 4 Prime or a Jeep 4XE would really suit us better.

I did finally put some gas in the Pacifica, filled it to check mpg. It went 304 miles gas and took 12.0 gallons so 25.3 mpg. Not as good as I hoped considering most of that 304 would be highway but one trip, about 100 miles of that we did have 2 kayaks on the roof. It also is trying to charge the battery off and on when in hybrid mode so some is going to later add to the electic miles. The computer said we were getting 48.9 mpg but I don't know how it calculates mpge. A total of 941 EV miles and 304 gas on 12 gallons is pretty sweet IMO. For a long time I was over 90% EV but vacation started and we started on longer trips. That's pretty much what makes it work for us vs a pure EV, that or we would have had to use one of our other older cars. Oh and there aren't many new EVs worth buying at $30,000. The base Volt would get there if they got back the fex tax rebates.