View Single Post
Old 07-24-2021, 02:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
I now understand.

Here's some background. The concept come out of data centers and their obsession with uptime. Here's a Tesla-free example: spectrum.ieee.org/energy/the-smarter-grid/the-softwaredefined-power-grid-is-here

Quote:
My colleagues and I have been spending a lot of time on a project in Onslow, a remote coastal town of 850 in Western Australia, where a wealth of solar, wind power, and battery storage has come on line to complement the region’s traditional forms of power generation. We’re making sure that all of these distributed energy resources work as a balanced and coordinated system.
[snip]
The basic thing a PMU measures is called a phasor. Engineering great Charles Proteus Steinmetz coined this term back in 1893 and described how to calculate it based on the phase and amplitude of an alternating-current waveform. Nearly a century later, Arun G. Phadke and his team at Virginia Tech developed the phasor measurement unit and showed that the PMU could directly measure the magnitude and phase angle of AC sine waves at specific points on the grid.
Those specific points on the grid can now be Tesla-branded Powerwalls. I wonder how open the Tesla patents will be. Can Jehu Garcia's powerwalls work with it?