View Single Post
Old 07-26-2021, 09:04 PM   #28 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,394 Times in 3,367 Posts
It was Sandy Monroe who most famously suggested that Tesla make the battery into a structural member because he noticed the frame was made stronger/heavier than necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary View Post
If the next day your car is totaled and according to the insurance company worth only $5,000, there's an extremely small chance you'd be able to get both your $5,000 plus the $8,000 you just spent on your battery. So you wouldn't be able to go and buy another $5,000 Leaf, just like yours, and put in a new battery, just like you had done.
Good point. I wonder how an insurance company would appraise that scenario. They don't cover stuff the owner installs like expensive stereo systems or custom rims, so I wonder how they would treat the battery. It's not exactly custom gear, as it's essential to the operation of the vehicle.

I once argued with an adjuster for a couple months about their valuation of my Subaru. They argued it wasn't worth much because there wasn't a straight piece of bodywork and it had 220,000 miles on it. I argued it ran perfectly, and I valued it for the utility and not for picking up babes. Comps for vehicles that ran perfectly were much higher; it's not my fault they hadn't used up the bodywork as much as me. I ended up negotiating 2.5x their initial offer.

A similar problem will occur where an old EV will have a new battery, and there will be no comps to base replacement price off of. Then it becomes a matter of who is more stubborn on which value is settled on.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!