View Single Post
Old 07-30-2021, 05:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobahnschleicher View Post
I would reccomend running different tires for different purposes as well as adjusting the pressure accordingly.
For driving on roads, run the sidewall pressure.
For driving offroad, air them down appropriately.

Low air pressure in the tire means the tire deforms more, and has less ground pressure.
High air pressure in the tire means the tire deforms less, wich reduces rolling resistance on the road.

This is excellent advice. I've found that running about 45 psi instead of the factory recommended 30 - 35 psi not only increases fuel economy but also handling because with with higher pressure the tire doesn't deform as much when cornering. (Grassroots Motorsports had a good article on this where they varied nothing but tire pressure and compared skid pad times)

HOWEVER, when we moved to the PNW it took me 3 flat tires to learn that I need to air down to 30 psi when I venture onto gravel roads because we have a lot more sharp rocks on forest service roads here than back East. Knock on wood no flats since I've started airing down.

I went up two sizes on my van. From stock 215/70R16 to 235/65/R16. That dropped fuel economy by 4% 16.6 mpg to 16.0 mpg

For general use on gravel roads and snow I like the BFG Advantage T/A LT. It is a snow rated light truck tire that can be used all year. It isn't a mud tire though. The BFG T/A KO2 might be a good compromise. I know they ride much quieter than most full on mud tires like the BFG Mud Terrain T/A KM3