View Single Post
Old 08-08-2021, 03:45 PM   #39 (permalink)
euromodder
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gschuld View Post
But I’m considering custom building an aerodynamic trailer

I’m currently looking at a theoretical trailer 16ft long overall, 5’6” wide up front with a full round nose (in top view like the Aerovault) widening to 6’6” at the single axle wheels(tucked inside), then back to 5’4” wide at the tail end in a smooth curve front to back. 5’3” tall from ground flat top with a 3” radius from top to sides.

Rear trailer entrance only, perfectly smooth surfaces all around.
Even the wheels are within the body with covers at 6’4” wheel track outside.

The trailer height would be 4” below the trailing edge of the back of the roof on the SRT for good flow transition.
Looks like you have it already well thought out, and that it could be a very efficient trailer

Quote:
The front of the rounded (in top view) trailer box would be 24 inches from theJeep bumper surface allowing 50 degrees of turning angle per side.
Closing that gap with a splitter plate or trailer front tapering to a rather narrow "point" would also help

The gap is a big cause of extra drag.

Quote:
I suspect the combination of max frontal area being near equal between TV and trailer, and what I think would be a rather low drag combined tow vehicle/trailer combo would yield a fairly minimal loss of mpg compared to running the SRT without trailer.
Keeping the trailer inside the wake of the car will be very effective from an aero perspective

But there's no escaping the weight