View Single Post
Old 08-25-2021, 11:55 AM   #16 (permalink)
67-ls1
Eco Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
here's a link to CAR and DRIVER's 'Crisis Fighter Pinto' of March, 1974.
They wrapped their 'low' airdam all the way around to the front of the front tires.( at the elevation future rocker panel extensions would pick up, had they chosen to go deeper into drag reduction [ think Pontiac Firebird Trans Am ])
While they were at the nose, they blanked off any superfluous grille opening, and added Plexi headlight bubbles to give some radius.
Under the hood, they went from a 4-bladed cooling fan, to a 2-bladed. A thermostatically-controlled electric cooling fan, pusher, or puller, would be the ticket now. Above 40-mph ram-air essentially takes care of your cooling.
https://ecomodder.com/forum/member-a...vement-mpg.jpg
Very interesting article. I’ll have to look around and see if I can find the rest of it on the web.
My air dam is pretty low. It also seals the lower part of the radiator opening so everything that goes through the grill goes through the radiator.
I have zero cooling issues. I can be in stop and go for 15-20 min before the electric fan comes on and runs for less then 3 min. Then another 15-20 before it comes on again. Normal driving it never comes on. I wonder if I could/should reduce air through the radiator. Is there a fan on-fan off knee that one should shoot for?
I do have radial tires but they are wide. 8” rims with 9.5” tires in the front and 10” rims with 11.5” wide tires in the rear. Probably a lot of extra rolling resistance there. That was a conscious concession to my hot rodding past.
aerohead (08-25-2021)