View Single Post
Old 08-25-2021, 12:45 PM   #18 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
radiator porosity

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67-ls1 View Post
Very interesting article. I’ll have to look around and see if I can find the rest of it on the web.
My air dam is pretty low. It also seals the lower part of the radiator opening so everything that goes through the grill goes through the radiator.
I have zero cooling issues. I can be in stop and go for 15-20 min before the electric fan comes on and runs for less then 3 min. Then another 15-20 before it comes on again. Normal driving it never comes on. I wonder if I could/should reduce air through the radiator. Is there a fan on-fan off knee that one should shoot for?
I do have radial tires but they are wide. 8” rims with 9.5” tires in the front and 10” rims with 11.5” wide tires in the rear. Probably a lot of extra rolling resistance there. That was a conscious concession to my hot rodding past.
Seems like we've had dedicated threads about this. MPGUINO- controlled servos or such, operating some form of radiator shutters.
AEROCIVIC had a sideways guillotine air-valve, return-spring default opening, with cable-operated opening ) if memory serves me )
Current low-drag variants of passenger cars all seem to offer some type of grille-shutter technology.