View Single Post
Old 08-26-2021, 01:46 PM   #14 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,596 Times in 7,079 Posts
Still 15 years to go.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airstream
Quote:
History
Refurbished Airstream trailer, California, March 21, 2013
The company was created by Wally Byam who began building trailers out of Masonite in his backyard in Los Angeles during the late 1920s.[2] Byam published a magazine selling "how-to" kits to customers wishing to build their own trailers. In 1936, Byam introduced the "Airstream Clipper", which was essentially a rebadged 1935 Bowlus Road Chief, with the door relocated from the front to the side. The design cut down on wind resistance and thus improved fuel efficiency. It was the first of the now familiar sausage-shaped, silver aluminum Airstream trailers.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowlus_(company)
Quote:
The first Bowlus was designed and built by Hawley Bowlus in 1934.[6] Bowlus was a designer, aerospace engineer and the builder of the Spirit of St. Louis aircraft.[7] From 1934 to 1936, over eighty Bowlus were built at Bowlus’ family ranch in San Fernando, California.
I oncet saw a Bowlus in a trailer park in Corvallis. I think I've got a picture somewhere.

Wally Byam's first trailers looked more like a Basecamp.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
aerohead (08-27-2021)