View Single Post
Old 10-06-2008, 09:30 AM   #68 (permalink)
IndyIan
EcoModding Newbie

Parachute - '03 Chevrolet Tracker LX
90 day: 28.55 mpg (US)

Peon - '95 Plymouth Neon Highline baby!
90 day: 31.39 mpg (US)

Slocus Wagon - '06 Ford Focus SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clev View Post
I'm certainly not going to fall for the "you MUST have a giant SUV to be safe" argument (and seeing the head-ons that happen on that mountain, the SUV driver dies just as often as the other guy), but $11k is not out of line for a new 37 mpg rated subcompact made with better materials and methods than in 1990, with front and side airbags and ABS. And since I'd buy new, I'll KNOW it had all of its maintenance done, was broken in properly and will probably last 200,000+ miles.

Again, depends on your situation.
So when does it end? 4 years after you buy this econo car, something will be far better then. You could buy that level of safety now with a new Volvo now but it will be $25k.
Do you buy winter tires? If not, those would be your best value for safety, and even if you do get a new car, they still are your best value. Also an accident avoidence driving school or doing some autocross would be a great help in learning to avoid the dummy that's trying to nail you head on. Also I'm sure you know which corners are the worst, so slowing down and being ready for someone out of control in your Accord is probably way better than driving a new Corolla obliviously. We all have seen the 4x4 SUV's in the ditch during the first snow storm of the year, and hundreds of bald tired economy cars puttering by...
For sure, if the worst case happens, a new car is better, but I'd argue that driving defensively is a far greater factor than what car you have in determining your odds of making it home.
Ian