View Single Post
Old 09-08-2021, 03:39 PM   #669 (permalink)
Isaac Zachary
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
What was miserable? Just the hustle and bustle of city life?
The main reason was not being able to get a decent job. It seemed like everywhere there was a job opening there was already a line of 50 people wanting to get the same job. The three jobs I had there were the worst. Once as a night shift cook at a Del Taco, then as a waiter at a Mexican restaurant where everyone stole my tips constantly making me earn only $2 an hour and then I worked at a big roofing company that would make me work nearly 80 hours in one week then lay me off the next and claim I worked 40 hours two weeks so no overtime, so only $5 an hour, plus they put you through this safety training course that means absolutely nothing to everyone once you're on the job leaning over the edge of a Walmart roof with no safety equipment.

That and the city life. I'm accustomed to seeing deer in my yard every day, to go out hiking and biking and such, to go sleding in the winter with the kids. We love going and seeing the moose, elk, bears, mountain lions, linx, eagals and owls. We camped just last weekend. Lots of sites to see and do here, even on foot or bike, and feel like we haven't even scratched the surface even after living here my whole life. We like to have friends over to BBQ out in the back yard or out in the woods and play guitar together.

But we don't have movie theaters or malls or such and haven't ever been interested in going to them either. Since I've been married 15 years ago we've gone to a movie theater 3 times. One of those times we walked out within the first 10 minutes. We also do not eat out. My parents never took us out to eat. Of course back then the nearest McDonald's was an hour away. But down in the city those kinds of things seems to be other people's idea of fun. Maybe if that's what the boys would want to do I'd do it for the boys.

But of course it doesn't help when you're dirt poor and broke like back when I tried to live in the city. I didn't even have a car or a bed to sleep in; just a piece of cardboard in a basement. But I did like taking the bus or biking all over the city, and would even consider not owning a car if we lived in the city again, seeing how my wife says she can't drive in the city and would take the bus too. Although the car could be our means of escape from the city on the weekends and there's also COVID.