View Single Post
Old 09-16-2021, 05:29 PM   #38 (permalink)
Isaac Zachary
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
The hypocrisy from people who are alarmist on their favorite "danger" topic is fun to observe.

How many people exceed speed limits? Heck, those are maximums anyhow, and it's up to the driver to assess the conditions, capabilities of the vehicle, and skill. I drove up a mountain pass that was covered in a sheet of ice. It wasn't possible to drive at the speed limit with my vehicle configuration and conditions and keep the car on the road. There wasn't a manual I could reference that told me exactly what the safe limits were.

100% of people break some traffic law on 100% of trips. Where are the online safety philosophers on subjects like coming to a complete stop, signalling 100 ft before a turn or lane change, walking behind the vehicle before reversing, etc, etc.

They don't. The payload given in the manual is 954 lbs. The tow rating is 3,500 lbs.
To me it's not so much of a danger topic as it is about the ironny. Would you by a motorcycle that's marketed as having the advantage for having two seats and a large cargo compartment but has a payload limit of 225lbs? And if you wouldn't, what's the difference bettween a motor cycle with 113lbs per passenger average and a car with 113lbs per passenger average in it's rating?

It's nice the Model Y actually has a better payload rating than what Google turns up. I also found this picture of a sticker that says 1,157lbs, claimed to be on a Model Y. So maybe it's not as bad as I was making it seem like.

I don't excede speed limits, at least not on purpose. I know, I'm the weird one. Going just 10 miles an hour faster than the limit can double your stopping distance. Personally I'm through with hitting deer and dogs and getting tickets. I have friends that that's their life because they can't leave home 5 minutes earlier than they do. But not me. I'd rather go the speed limit and pay more attention to what I'm doing.

The rule of thumb, at least taught to us in CDL school, is to drive at least 2/3 the speed limit anytime there's snowpack. This is what I do even in my own car. While usually not a problem it town, once on the highway people have the tendancy to keep increasing their speed until they're at or over the speed limit, even if it's snow packed or icy. Until you get to that first sharp corner where all the cars have gone off the road. Just following the 2/3 speed rule will almost certainly prevent that from happening.