View Single Post
Old 09-16-2021, 11:32 PM   #40 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,393 Times in 3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary View Post
To me it's not so much of a danger topic as it is about the ironny. Would you by a motorcycle that's marketed as having the advantage for having two seats and a large cargo compartment but has a payload limit of 225lbs? And if you wouldn't, what's the difference bettween a motor cycle with 113lbs per passenger average and a car with 113lbs per passenger average in it's rating?

It's nice the Model Y actually has a better payload rating than what Google turns up. I also found this picture of a sticker that says 1,157lbs, claimed to be on a Model Y. So maybe it's not as bad as I was making it seem like.

I don't excede speed limits, at least not on purpose. I know, I'm the weird one. Going just 10 miles an hour faster than the limit can double your stopping distance. Personally I'm through with hitting deer and dogs and getting tickets. I have friends that that's their life because they can't leave home 5 minutes earlier than they do. But not me. I'd rather go the speed limit and pay more attention to what I'm doing.

The rule of thumb, at least taught to us in CDL school, is to drive at least 2/3 the speed limit anytime there's snowpack. This is what I do even in my own car. While usually not a problem it town, once on the highway people have the tendancy to keep increasing their speed until they're at or over the speed limit, even if it's snow packed or icy. Until you get to that first sharp corner where all the cars have gone off the road. Just following the 2/3 speed rule will almost certainly prevent that from happening.
Guidelines are important for the inexperienced or the unfamiliar. Unfortunately the way we become experienced is to survive being inexperienced. Finding the operating limits in a safe environment can go a long way to understanding the dynamics of a system though. For instance, I'll periodically check road conditions as I drive when they are slippery. I'll check my braking power and ability to swerve.

I generally travel 5 MPH over the speed limit and won't exceed 7 unless I'm on a motorcycle on a country road. I don't get speeding tickets, never hit a deer or dog, and don't get in wrecks. I don't even slow down when I know a speed trap is coming because you won't get pulled over for doing 5 over if that's the only infraction.

Rule followers are absolutely crucial to an orderly and well-functioning society. I never curse a person doing the speed limit when I'd rather be traveling faster. I also don't curse the person passing me. I do curse the person doing 40 in a 55 on a perfect day. If they are too scared to drive they shoulda stayed home or asked someone else to drive for them.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
Isaac Zachary (09-16-2021), JSH (09-17-2021)