View Single Post
Old 10-06-2008, 03:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Blister
EcoModding Lurker

Unfortunately for me, I'm pretty sure that changing the size and/or horsepower of the engine would bring up problems that I am unable to solve. There's an education/ability issue hidden in there somewhere. Although I operate medium and heavy equipment, I have no mechanic skills or engineering experience. I hate to sound so defeatist but I think the most use I'm going to be in this project is in gathering materials.

My last light load tractor was a Yanmar and while I owned it, I checked out a lot of different chinese made diesel engines because I was hoping to replace the almost 30 year old engine in it. Even though it was japanese, it was used and maintained in china. One problem I always saw in reviews were poor spec standards. Parts made too thin or too thick and a lot of other problems with quality control which then turned into problems getting parts. I decided that even though many people had gotten very good engines from china, it was too big of a risk when considering the cost.

I was disabled a while back and I would like to check into a grant to take a somewhat local machinists course and take welding at the same time but that is yet to come. I basically have no knowledge of what I am about to start.

My current light to medium load tractor is a Kioti CK20 that has a 3 cylinder diesel and is 21hp. The engine for that is less expensive that the kubota and according to many reviews, just as dependable with parts being available here in the U.S.. I'm thinking this engine is very similar in size and may be an option. Just fishing for other, possibly cheaper ways to go.