Thread: New Carb fears
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2008, 05:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
metromizer
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blister View Post
Anyone have any thoughts on why my 87' pickup got almost 40 mpg...
For a good laugh, find a copy of the 1972 movie "Pete-N-Tilly" with Carol Burnette and Walter Matthau... I'm going off memory, i haven't seen this film since it was out in the theaters: There's a running gag where Walter Matthau and his youg son sneak into the neighbor's garage and add fuel to his gas tank about once per week. After doing this for some time, the reverse it, and siphon gas instead of add. The neighbor goes nuts, there's a scene with him at the local dealership argueing with the service manager about the once unbelivable FE, but now it's terrible. Funny stuff, but I'm not making fun of you in any way.

The 40mpg is puzzeling though, it seems your truck was getting way better FE than anyone would believe. If it still runs, I wouldn't touch it. I agree with you about carb rebuilders, it's real hard to find one that knows what he's doing these days (no one wants to pay the labor) If it was me, and I thought the carb needed rebuilding, I'd do it myself wit the aid of the factory repair manual (good deals on ebay for factory manuals... not to be confused with the $18 Haynes or Chilton's manuals)