View Single Post
Old 09-20-2021, 05:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
71 was the 1st year for discs brakes. Had a dual port 1600 engine. Man I wish I had it now!
1971! Best year for the Superbeetle and Type II (lowlights rule), Standards and (aguably) Type III peaked in 1967.

vwbuswagon.blogspot.com/2014/02/low-light-bay-window.html

I had a full-length rack like that on my 1961 panel van, a guy came and leaned on me to sell the vehicle to him, so I let the rack go just to get him to go away. This example is nicely optioned, with a spotlight for the shotgun seat, Raders and the rubber bumper inserts (center wrapped with rope).

I had a 1960 13-window with the walkthrough. When my son was born, we put a bicycle child seat in the walkthrough so his eye-level was the same as the grownups. These days I'd look for a clean Vanagon. More body width and A-arm front suspension. On the streets around here the Westphalia campers have outlasted everything else from their era.

edit: so I took a look through www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/newads.php?type=cars
Second listing was 71 Deluxe sunroof bus in Canada for $35K.
[scroll]
1984 One Owner VW Vanagon Camper Westfalia in Maryland for $10.5K
[scroll]
1988 Vanagon Westfalia GL Camper — NO EXHAUST in Santa Cruz for $10K
[scroll]
1975 “Automatic” All Original paint in Spokane for $15.5
So the going rate seems to be $10K unless it's really nice.

Are you aware that the Hot VWs magazine Mileage Motor got a Beetle to 39.8 MPG? I built a similar motor for the panel van, which is gone but I still have the motor. The biggest difference is I used aftermarket big valve heads thinking it would be a truck motor. Hot VWs went with stock fuel injection heads which have smaller intakes.

In a more perfect world, it would be in some vehicle, with a 72 Volt mild hybrid altermotor replacing the starter and generator.
ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/controller-mods-build-e-assist-altermotor

The battery pack would be an Ecoflow Delta Pro turning the vehcile into a microgrid.
ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/ecoflow-delta-pro

Last edited by freebeard; 09-20-2021 at 05:54 PM..