View Single Post
Old 09-22-2021, 01:32 AM   #53 (permalink)
The Toecutter
Master EcoModder

Rebellion - '16 KMX Framekit Custom electric velomobile
I now have a rear suspension kit for the KMX in my possession. I have not yet had the chance to install it.

Once I get a 20" wheel laced up to a 3T wind Leafbike hub motor, I'll be able to install it and then recline the seat further back and take measurements with which to scale the Milan's body shell around. I'm looking at taking the Milan's shape and widening it to fit the 39" front track, but keeping the airfoil proportions of the shell the same so that the air slips around it nicely. I'll have roughly the same height as the Milan, but about 25% more frontal area. I'll have wheels that are flush with the airflow and uncovered(think DF velomobile or Strada velomobile) to allow a smaller turning radius and easier access to the mechanicals for maintenance. Enclosing the wheels as the milan does and accounting for the steering clearances and suspension travel would necessitate a 48" wide body shell, so I'm going the unenclosed route for my wheels, but they won't be outboard. The ground clearance will also be around 5.5 inches, a full 2.5 inches more than my Milan.

If I pull this off and it has 2x the air drag of the Milan, that will mean that with the motor shut off and under pedal only operation, 225-250W required to do 30 mph using heavy duty solar car tires and accounting for the motor's cogging torque drag. Which would still be very pedalable with the motor disabled. Turn the motor on, and maybe 0.75-1 kW from the battery to do 60 mph. Which means a 1.5-2 kWh pack of 2170 cells from a Tesla Model 3 would go a long way to making this a practical vehicle with decent electric range at highway speeds, and would be a light enough battery that I could possibly keep the whole vehicle under 100 lbs which would mean its still light enough to pedal with the motor disabled, thus no such thing as range anxiety. AND the pack would be sufficiently small that a 110V outlet would be the functional equivalent of Level II charging, and a 220V outlet would be the equivalent of a Tesla Supercharger.

I also have sent a check to purchase a hydraulic brake system with both calipers activated by a single lever. I'm going to need it for the speeds I'm planning on riding at.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Toecutter For This Useful Post:
aerohead (09-22-2021), freebeard (09-22-2021)