View Single Post
Old 09-22-2021, 07:57 PM   #264 (permalink)
Isaac Zachary
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I despise politics (groups dictating what individuals must do with their resources) and religious dogma (groupthink), which is why I point out examples of the absurdity and dysfunction these institutions create. My comments are the opposite of politics and religion (odd coming from a theist).

EVs may play a significant role in resource conservation and limiting CO2 emissions as well as toxic pollutants, but the way to know if they are the optimal solution isn't to dictate them, but to challenge them to compete with all other alternatives.

When big government tries to micromanage tiny details of design, they end up creating unintended negative consequences and loopholes that undermine the intended result at best, or cause the exact opposite intended result.
You may be right. On the other hand, if government isn't deciding then someone else is. The decision is always in the hand of someone who isn't perfect and is likely biased for some reason, be it for the adquisition of fame, power or riches, People do not always make desicions because of an altruistic sincere interest in human health, security and overall wellfare, and even if they do they can still make the wrong decision.

What exactly do you mean by challenge them to compete with all other alternatives? What makes a winner? I do believe that we should be open to all options and weed out the ones that are more harmful than good. But who decides that and on what basis?