View Single Post
Old 09-25-2021, 02:23 PM   #284 (permalink)
Accordowner
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary View Post
Why do people take a statement written in the context as applying to the general public, not even wait to see why the statement was made, and then want to compare it to their own niche use case that has nothing to do with the point in the video?

Of course you can benefit in certain vehicles from shifting into neutral. But can it be bad for the car? I know a guy who wrecked more than one transmission because he would shift into neutral and coast down long mountain passes with the engine off. (Most automatics and some manuals have a lubrication pump that only pumps when the engine is turning).

I also know of someone who went off the side of a mountain pass and killed several of his passengers because he was coasting down the hill in neutral and lost his brakes. (Lack of engine braking).

One other valid point this guy makes is that some engines will cut fuel during deceleration. Seeing how most people who are trying to slow down or stop are also applying the brake at the same time it makes more sense to leave the vehicle in gear, which cuts off fuel, maybe even downshifting a gear or two, and slow down that way instead of shifting into neutral and having the engine idle as you use up more of your brakes because you think you're doing your car a favor. ('You" referring to the general public).

But that doesn't apply to me in my Hybrids that shut the engine off while decelerating. Obviously I can get better fuel mileage if I pulse and glide by shutting off the engine and coasting in neutral until my speed comes down enough to merit accelerating again. So he didn't think of me and mention my roadrage inducing driving technique. Should I be offended?
He wasn't saying that for when the car engine was shut down. He was saying that putting the car in neutral in downhill situations was not good period!
I understand your fear of running in neutral while you have the engine shut off; I know that personally; my car's steering would lock up if did such a foolish thing! and I'm sure other vehicle can react in even more severe ways!