View Single Post
Old 09-28-2021, 08:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
ksa8907
Master EcoModder

Volt, gas only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 38.02 mpg (US)

Volt, electric only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 132.26 mpg (US)

Yukon Denali Hybrid - '12 GMC Yukon Denali Hybrid
90 day: 21.48 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
We are looking to replace our Jetta Sportwagen TDI. The mileage has been a disappointment from the beginning and we have found that the dieselgate warranty isn’t worth much. Unless the car throws a code or something physically breaks the VW dealer won’t do anything. We’ve had issues with drivability since we’ve owned the car and they get worst during the winter. It has hydrolocked once and left us stranded and now it will randomly take 3-4 seconds of cranking to start. Basically I don’t trust it and Caravan is willing to give me $1500 more than a paid 3 years and 30K miles ago.

I’ve started shopping for other vehicles but the selection is so poor. Not because of the current supply issues but just in general. We want:

A reasonably fuel efficient wagon or hatchback.
Not super slow (0-60 in 8 seconds or less)
Fit 210 cm skis either inside or on a roof carrier.
6 inches of ground clearance - min
30 mpg combined minimum
Less than 7 years old
$20K budget

Having owned two 2nd gen Prius another Prius would seem to fit but they are just uninspiring to drive and slow. The 4th generation is supposedly better to drive but it is SO ugly. There are some interesting CUVs just out (RAV4 hybrid / prime and Maverick hybrid) but the older stuff has horrible fuel economy and most of the older hybrids are sedans.

Maybe I should just scratch the fuel economy requirement and buy a Subaru Outback like half of Portland. Even stretching the budget doesn’t help
30mpg minimum and 6 inches ground clearance minimum really limits the possibilities. I'd just go for a rav4 hybrid.