View Single Post
Old 10-04-2021, 10:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
ttrainxl
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
Yeah it definitely runs easier than 10w-30 during a Vermont winter. 90's Civics do indeed call for either their MTF or 10w-30. Later D series dropped the motor oil recommendation but most of the internal components that matter (syncros, mostly) still had the same part numbers, so presumably one could have continued using motor oil in later transmissions.

If you're interested enough, I probably have some MTF and 10w-30 in the basement. I could throw a bit of each in a cup in the freezer and see what they do.
Yeah that sounds like a fun experiment. And maybe in the fridge too. Virginia winters probably have an average temp of high 30s or even 40 or 41F. The produce bin of a fridge is probably hovering around 37 or 38 degrees.

I just checked my Honda service manual (so happy the previous owner bought this) and it doesn't mention Honda MTF at all, and recommends using 10w30 or 10w40.

Wonder if I could get away with 5w30, which is used in the engine. It was mentioned in an Ecomod post (think its a sticky) that lighter transmission fluid can reduce fuel consumption a little. Not likely much, but five little things add up to a big thing, and I've just started with this car. And it would be a good idea to change the oil anyway.