View Single Post
Old 10-06-2008, 11:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
kimer6
EcoModding Apprentice

Geo Metro convertible / Kubota diesel engine conversion (driving!)

[Admin note: this thread split off from http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...metro-354.html ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigandiesel View Post
I sent a request to a JDM company asking if they have diesel engines that would fit into a Metro. Has anyone tried fitting a diesel into a Metro? I learned just this evening that the 4 banger Suzuki transmission sits further to the outside than the one in a 3 banger, so that could allow more room between the shock towers. Any thoughts on this approch to even better milage? For the record, I had a 1990 Metro and will be picking up my next one, a 1998 tomorrow morning. Paul
I am installing a Kubota 905E diesel of 900 cc's in my Metro Convertible. I used the stock transaxle location, a Swift flywheel and clutch, and a Kubota geared starter. Pretty straight forward so far. Needs exhaust, coolant lines and a few more electrical connections to run. The oil filter was in the way of the axle and soon I will modify the oil pan so it will not be the lowest point of the car. It sits closer to the right side frame rails that I would like, no room for vacuum pump pulley. I'll try it as is and see if the whole project was worthwhile. Then I may move the transaxle to the 4 cylinder location. We'll see. Tricks or tips, email me at [email]cbx_kim@HOTMael.com ,mispelled for the robots. For pics, how I did it.