View Single Post
Old 10-05-2021, 04:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
some_other_dave
Master EcoModder

There have been instances of people using Honda MTF in 90s-vintage Civics and developing major issues quickly. Group consensus at the time was that the MTF was too thin. There may have been a reformulation of the MTF since then? Not sure.

Honda was recommending their MTF for all manual transmissions, which I think was just an effort to sell more MTF and too bad for folks with old cars.

I am certain that anybody's ATF would be the wrong stuff to use. It is definitely too thin and will cause problems.

Honda, at the time, specified 10W40 motor oil for their transmissions. I think 5W30 was also allowed in the owner's manual. I always used non-synthetic motor oil of either of those two weights.

I inadvertently experimented with running less fluid. (Read: Didn't put enough in when replacing the fluid. Forgot that the car needed to be level for the measurement to be correct. Oops.) It took a few months, but I developed input shaft bearing issues. This is a major problem in a D-series transmission; you have to replace it from the inside so lots of disassembly is required.

Zero issues with the motor oil when filled with the proper amount. I would not recommend anything other than non-synthetic motor oil.

-soD