View Single Post
Old 10-06-2021, 03:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Isaac Zachary
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
When I went to just one car my insurance went up $15. So I went and bought a $300 Prius and my insurance went back down. Ask to make sure it'll really be another $50 or so if you haven't already.

But even at $50, $1,200 per year is still quite a bit. Plus tire wear and other maintenance may stay virtually the same because you're either wearing out tires and putting on miles on the car or on the truck but not both at the same time.

What I did when I started needing to go long distances was I sold all my cars and bought one that would fit all my needs, in this case a full sized hybrid car that gets 40mpg and was in nice condition. Since I do need to haul big stuff I installed a trailer hitch and got a trailer. Sure, i can't haul over 1,000lbs, but the flatbed is much easier to load and unload than out of the bed of a pickup and it's 4'x8' so plywood, drywall and the like all fits perfectly. Surprisingly I got a lot more money out of my old cars than I was anticipating which helped pay for the car I have now.

I figure spend the most on the car I use and need the most. Any other car is of secondary importance of i own another car.